Linux Installation Question

Will I need to partition my hard drive before installing any distribution
of Linux? I mentioned before that my new Dell computer has 2 hard drives.
My 80 GB has Windows XP Home installed. I would like to install Fedora on
my 40GB. If I need to partition the 40 GB, what program do I use? Also,
what program do I use in order to have two different operating systems on
the same computer? Sorry in advance for the ignorant questions, but I'm
definitely a newbie here.