Telnet help pleas!

Hello I have a desk top with Linux on it and I have my lap top they are both on a home network by a hub with DSL.
I have tera term telnet program.
Can any one give me a step by step on how to get telnet to use   my desk top that has the Linux from my lap top that has the Jaws?
Thanks very much for any and all help!!