Linux with magnification

I am in the process of converting 100 percent from winshit to Slackware 9.
Our mail's been sorta messed up, but if all goes well, I'm supposed to be
getting an accent S A which I'll use with SpeakUp if necessary, however, i'm
curious if there is yet a package that's libraries can be compiled from
source into the kurnel to allow for screen magnification.  i need something
that will get as big as the equivalent of say... ZoomText for DOS.  is this
something that has come out yet, and if not, I wonder for those of you who
do programming on this list, how easy it would be to adventurally do
something of such nature.

Take care, and God bless!

Chris.