caplock disappeared

Yes, that does seem to do the trick indeed.  I ran into the same
discoveries yesterday afternoon.  Holding down the caps-lock key
without enhancements seems to do the exact same thing as does the
keypad-insert speakup key.  I think this is to help out laptop users.

Hey while I'm here, I have a question about the new way keymaps are
done now.  Can anyone explain how that process now works?  What I mean
is speakup doesn't come with a key map anymore but I think it is
generated by genkeymap.c or something like that.  I did not find any
program comments to help me out thus my questions here.  If I want to
alter a keymap or whatever, how do I go about doing that now? Does an
actual keymap still exist and I've just missed something or what?

Thanks for any help.