gnopernicus and speakup

Hi folks,
Can anyone tell me what the command is to unload speakup before launching startx to initiate gnopernicus?  When I did rmmod speakup_dectlk to unload dectalk express, dectalk began to talk again after I issued the startx command.  It was very annoying to hear gnopernicus talk at the same time as dec express.  I will appreciate your help.
Cheers,
Cris