permissions question

Folks,

I created a group, I made the directory and set it to be owned by root
and the group, I also made all the files owned by root and the group, I
then added myself to the group using the usermod program, but yet I
can't write to the directory. What could I be doing wrong here?
I read over the man page for usermod and assumed based on what I read
that I was on the correct path.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Scott