a distro designed for booting over the network

repartitioning the existing drive is no longer an option, since it's
in the trash. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be having this issue right now.

Also, when I said this machine can't boot from the cd-rom drive,
that's literally what I meant. This machine is from 1994 I believe,
and booting from cd-rom was just coming out at this time, and that
option didn't make it onto this machine's bios. Also, before you ask,
no, the bios is not flashable.

Greg