Speakup/Festival Config Question

The problem is a very simple one.  I messed up the ? : statement in the .c
file and reversed the correct order of the argumets.  The statement was
put in because the register_chrdev() function returns 0 on success, a
negative number on failure, and the major number recieved if dynamic
allocation was requested.  Since we wanted to be able to support both
static and dynamic major number allocation we check to see if we are
statically or dynamically allocating the major number and then printk the
number of the return value of the register_chrdev() function as
appropriate.  That was the theory anyway, as it happens I messed up the
order of the statement so it's printk'ing the return value when it
shouldn't be so you see zero in all cases, dynamic or static.  This will
be fixed in the next major release, don't worry the only problem there is
that the printk is incorrect, not exactly a major bug.

As for running festival as a server there should be a shell script to do
so in /path/to/festival/src/scripts/festival_server.sh so if you had
Festival installed in /usr/local/src/ the path would be:
/usr/local/src/festival/festival/src/scripts/festival_server.sh
which you just run in the background (via & or whatever method you choose)
and that sets up a sane default configuration that allows localhost to
connect but not anyone else.  festival --server should also work but you
would have to pass it a number of other configuration options so its
probably best to just use the script.  Just running festival will not work
as it does not start listening on the right port unless specifically told
to.

HtH

Owen