Slack 9 problems!!!

Yeah, I've seen that funky message.  It usually means that the serial
driver tried to talk to /dev/ttyS1 and it basically couldn't probably
because it wasn't guessing right about the IRQ or base address.  After
running "modprobe isa-pnp," what do you get for the base address of the
modem as detected?  I have also seen that message when the driver tried to
talk to my PCI modem.  I had to forcibly enable the PCI modem with both
Redhat and Slackware.