O T: Docbook problem resolved

Hi Steve,

Yes, I have been asked to write a Slackware oriented contribution
to a "howto" written by someone on the gnome accessibility list.
I now have all the pieces in place but as yet I get no speech
with Gnome -- the jury is still out.

Festival is supposed to work with emacspeak, but I am not an
emacs user so have not tried it. It is sluggish and has a
disappointing sound compared with the doubletalk, but hey, it
works! What it does best is to identify phrase boundaries and use
good intonation when processing normal text. In fact that is
pretty impressive. But it is not what most blind computer users
will appreciate in daily use.

More later

Chuck

BTW -- Thomas Ward is also struggling with what appear to be the
same issues as I have encountered, except Thomas is starting with
the binaries that come with the Redhat 8.0 distribution. With
Slackware you must (or at least I had to) begin with the sources
for everything and compile compile compile.

--
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)
So visit me at http://www.valstar.net/~hallenbeck