ppp-go problem

hmmm, from my reading of /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, ppp is being activated with
a /sbin/modprobe ppp line in the file.  When I listen to boot up messages
I hear ppp-2.3.7 being loaded but interestingly in order to find
README.linux I have to go to /usr/doc/ppp-2.4.1 directory.  Hope this
isn't a version conflict here.  That rc.modules file came off the
live/etc/rc.d/rc.modules file from cd 2 in the slackware set.  An insmod
ppp at command prompt followed by ppp-go gets the same error even though
the insmod ppp doesn't generate any errors.