fetchmail

Kerry,

Maybe I'm on the wrong track all together.

Here is my setup and tell me what you think.
I could use imap or something perhaps, but I choose not to do so for any
hosts on my network and if I wish to get mail from outside, I'd rather
pull it all down instead of using imap.

Ok, my box at domain is the machin I sit at and twiddle my thumbs,
remote at mydomain is the server where mail is sent and thus the machine I
pull mail down from.
What I did is to use Fetchmail to pop the mail from remote at mydomain from,
and of course mymybox at domain is where I read the excellent offersing and
reply to them from.

I assume what your saying here is the following is the better method for
redirecting mail as opposed to using the smtpname directive which btw,
works fine. I have nto of course tried this with another user's account
and maybe this is the problem I'll run into. So, is there in fact a
better way to do what I want?
I run Postfix here which the mail is sent out on back to remote at mydomain.
If there is a better way please do tell. I'm always open to better
methods. I started down this road because I wanted some means for mail to
hit this machine regardless if I was logged into it or not being as I do
not grab mail from the outside at this point, but am keeping that option
open by turning off what method and on when I wish.
I checked out Fetchmail running as itself in a "system-wide" method and I
couldn't get the mail from /var/mail/fetchmail file into my personal
/var/mail/showell mailbox.
The smtpname directive solved this problem. So, your method is the same
or different? I'll look up that info you provided to see the differences.

thanks

Scott