export as a normal user

Hi all.

If I log in as a normal user, and have something like "export VAR='string'" in my '$HOME/.profile', that value exports just fine.

However, if I try to export as a normal user from any other script besides $HOME/.profile, the values don't get exported, even though I can export them just fine if I do it by hand at a bash prompt. Can someone please explain why this is, and how can I change it? Thanks in advance.
Greg