samba: reading files from my Windows 2000 machine from my RedHat Linux machine.

Hello all,

Thought I might share this with you. Recently I had a need to
duplicate a 110 gig Winblows file system from one winblows box to
another. Hmmmm, winblows has some tools to do this but with very
little assurance factor. I looked into rsync on a windows box,
nice idea but from all the reading i did I got the idea that it
would only replicate from winblows to a linux server. Shelved
that one for later use. Next I looked at samba. Found the perfect
solution there. Using the following command I was able to mount
the two shared directories and use my linux server to rsync from
one winblows system to another.

smbmount "\\\\server\\share" /mountpoint -o
username=linuxrox,password=winblowssux

I had to use the double quotes because the share had a space in
it.

Hope this helps someone. And oh by the way, to unmount the mount
point just use:

smbumount /mountpoint

Good Luck.