My ide1 is back!!!--not!!!!!!

I've eliminated the dma.
And now nothing about ide1 even appears in dmesg, which is the same as the first
time it happened except there was a line about it re: dma.
so maybe it will spontaneously start working again.
I suspect a cable or especially the cdrom drive, which was used and so we just
put it in and left it there since it worked and saved me the cost of a new one.
And it did work just fine--for a while!

Cheryl