My ide1 is back!!!

Usually the default 2.4.x kernels if configured correctly
enable DMA on the PCI IDE interfaces for devices that support
it. This is PCI DMA not isa dma. If the device
does not react well to DMA transferrs and times out or returns errors
then Linux may disable dma. If there is only the DMA disabled
message the device will run less efficiently without dma.
If there are other errors like irq timeouts then the device
has either locked up (requires a power cycle) or in some
cases had died or an IDE drie has bad sectors.
It's nice that the IDE works again; but I'd
keep my eyes peeled for any problems that may occurr especially
if the waranty is almost up on either of the devices.
I wouldn't trust the devices if they did this to me and would look for any signs
of failure this is not normal behaviour.

Regards, Kerry.