Setup disk problems.

Hello, list. For the past couple of days I  have been trying hard to
create a setup diskette for Mandrake 8.2 with speakup in it.
The kernel build fine, speakup works, but the boot disk is useuless. It
gives me a kernel panic saying attempted to kill init. I have no idea
what on earth that means.
The point is I have rebuilt, reconfigured the kernel a million times, and
I get a kernel error of one kind or another.
Any pointers on what is required to make a setup disk, what options work
best, etc is helpful.
I might also add Mandrake  8.2 uses kernel 2.4.18.
Any known errors with 2.4.18? Any suggestions what is absolutely required
for a boot disk, and do I need to do anything special bsides rename the
kernel to vmlinuz, and drop it on the setup disk?