sox doesn't like gramofile wav files

Anybody have any idea why this might be happening.
I use gramofile to make a recording, but since i haven't figured out how to
reliably handle gramofile's filters I want sox to convert the wav file, since
it's recording on 1 channel but recorded as two-channel. but frequently (not
sure if allways) sox tells me that there is a premature EOF on the file.
Now, if I make an ogg file of the original wav file, convert back to wav, and
then run it through sox, there's no problem, but who wants to do all that?