Making Custom keymaps.

Hello, list. Can anyone please help me with making a custom keymap for
Speakup? I've never been fond of the current one, and I've always wanted to
make my own.
However, I am not real familiar with the logic behind the hex codes. If
someone can send me a detailed list of the values of what exactly what is
what, or direct to me on really good documentation on this subject I'dbe in
his or her debt. Thanks.