Question, ppp.

Hi everyone.  I'm still here.  I got my  system awhile back and haven't
done much with it because I've been busy and because I'm not sure where to
start.  I don't even know what all the programs and packages and so on are
on it, which ave lready been compiled and configured, and which are still
sitting there.  I really don't have a clue.  Is there a way to figure this
out?

What I would like to be able to do first on my computer is dial up.  I
found the ppp readme, but ca't make sense of it.  I am pretty sure that my
modem is configured so that's should be okay.  I found an online HowTo for
determining that, but what next?  Can anyone give me any pointers?

Thanks.  Oh and if it matters, the distribution is Red Hat.

Anna