emacspeak

Sure, you can pass anything you like at the boot prompt.  However, if you
already have an append line in your lilo.conf, I don't know how that will
work.  That's why I like to copy tne lilo entry with a different append
line with the "speakup_synth=none" line so I can choose easily at boot
time whether I want Speakup or not.