SDL problems.

Hi, list. has anyone developed with sdl, simple direct media layer, from
libsdl.org?
I tried writing a simple game in c using sdl, and I get the following
error.

Unable to initialize SDL: No available video device

Ok, since sdl is basically a graphical X tool is there a way to use it on
the shell? A way to get some sort of virtual frame buffer going?
If sdl is out of the question any alternatives to this?
I am trying to find something does what directx does in Windows, but not
require me being in X-windows.

[