socrates, how do I use it?

Hi.  I figured I'd give socrates a try to see how it's coming.  Well,
after getting Sane and gocr built, I can now scan an image manually and
manually use gocr on it, but the recognition is horrible.  I got the
impression that this is to be expected, but still, it's something that I
wanted to see.  Anyway, after this, I downloaded the socrates front-end
from CVS and installed it.  I can now type "socrates," press enter or
space, and get messages that say that the image is being scanned and
recognized.  My scanner goes, the computer sits there at the "recognizing"
message for a long time, and then, I get "browsing..."  After that, the
prompt returns.  Is this supposed to happen?  How do I read or save the
results of the scan?  I am using an HP Scanjet 6100C scanner if that is
important.