Help with ppp.

Ok, my thanks go out to everyone who helped out with my problem with x
Anyway, for some reason I can't get a working ppp connection to the internet
going. I tried manually editing:
/etc/resolv.conf
  /etc/ppp/options
/etc/ppp/chatscript
and when I typed pppd nothing happened. I know for sure my modem is on
/dev/ttyS1.
I've looked around linuxconf in Red Hat 7.2 and no longer can find the ppp
setup stuff. Any directions, suggestions, or help?
Another thing I have tried is wvdial, and it would dial fine, but then once
it hooked up it would loose the connection.
Could someone send me a step by step directions on how they got pppd working
under Red Hat 7.2? If it is easier I'd be willing to work over the phone if
it is easier.