MusicBrainz client library

Hi all.  I tried to install freeamp the other day and got an error message
by the configure script that said that I needed to install the MusicBrainz
client library.  Anyone know where I can obtain this?  I'm running debian
and have tried apt-get install with just about every form of musicbrainz,
musicbrainz-1.0 and musicbrainz* I could think of.  Is this not obtainable
through apt-get?  Thanks in advance for any info.

Guy