alsa for tecra8100

Hi guys.  Well I set the PCM to 84% unmute and the Wave to 100% unmute.
I copied the windows logon sound and called it win.wav and typed 'aplay
win.wav' and hear a little crackling as the sound presumibly starts then
as the sounds finishes the crackling stops.  So something is there.  I
have a feeling it still has to do with my volume settings but I'm not
completely sure any more.  I'm using the alsa 0.9.0beta9 version.  They
installeed fine and the sound driver is loading fine I checked this with
lsmod.