Lemon for sale

LEMON FOR SALE

Actually I hope to trade a lemon for a pair of NIC cards supported by the
2.2.18 kernel. If you are interested, I would ask you to pay the cost of
shipping my lemon to you, and your NIC cards to me. But beware! If you are
not comfortable with hardware troubleshooting, delete this announcement
immediately and do not even think of it!!!

Description of my Lemon:

Mini tower cabinet; motherboard with AMD 5x86 133 MHz processor; 16 megs
of memory; 850 MB hard disk; 3.5" floppy; IDE/ATAPI 25X CDROM drive; one
parallel and two serial ports; PCI bus with support for five ISA expansion
cards. The five slots are filled as follows: Doubletalk PC internal speech
synthesizer; Jaton 33.6 internal modem; AWE/64 sound card; Jaton Network
Interface Card; SVGA video card. Keyboard, speakers, and cables are not
included.

This system is a great bargain for the cannibals on the list. However,
something does not work right on this system, and I am unable to figure
out what. It has a Slackware 7.1 Linux installation with kernel 2.2.16 and
Speakup 0.9 which boots up okay (most of the time) and talks normally (for
a little while) but within a minute or two of normal operation, it quits.
It dies. It goes silent, stops responding, and the only course of action
available is to do a hard reset or turn off the power, or I suppose you
could also throw the son of a bitch out the window! When that happens and
you attempt to restart the system, it will not reboot right away. You have
to go get a cup of coffee or something else and then try again some time
later.

The oldest components in this system are the motherboard, hard disk, and
video card, which date from 1997. The expansion cards are all newer.

Anyone wishing to inherit this headache (I have a "no
return" policy) please contact me off the list to make arrangements.

Chuck

My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)