alsa troubles

Hi everyone.  I'm trying to get the alsa drivers working.  I've compiled
and installed the alsa-driver, alsa-lib and alsa-utils in that order.
When I type alsamixer I get the message.

alsamixer: failed to open mixer: #0/#0 no such file or directory.

I've read the install files and readmes and done everything accordingly to
the files and still nothing.  I have an isa sbawe64 pnp board.

Any ideas?