Dvds and linux.

Hey guys. Have a dvd drive here that my cousin brought me and he wants to
be able to watch a dvd he has on my machine or convert it to a video cd or
something.
Is there any way I can do this with out having to install X on this box?
Also would there be any way for me to strip the audio out of the movie and
put it in to an mp3 or whatever?
Thanks.

Tommy