Burning ISO images?

I'm curious about the format of a >ISO file such as the slackware distros.
I tried using EZ CD creater and it couldn't handle the format - seemed to
be incompatible or one disk I created wrote out the whole thing but my
system could never read the disk.  I then successfully burned the same
image with Nero but I generally perfer EZ CD's user interface instead.  I
would like to use CD Creater if possible for the future until I dump
winblows all together:).

Any ideas?