pdf and/or ps converter/translater????

Hi:

I use a package called pstotext which requires ghostscript to work.  To be
honest, I'm not sure how much ghostscript does and how much the pstotext
program adds to it, but hey I don't ask questions - it works.  I also
installed a package called gs-pdfencrypt (or something similar) which adds
capability to ghostscript to read encrypted PDF files.

I don't know what distro you run, but installing these under debian is a
piece of cake.  Just install pstotext and its requirements should install
by themselves.  The encryption stuff is another package, let me know if you
can't find it.

Geoff.