Speakup 0.10A and Apollo

Hi listers! Did everybody try to compile a 2.4.0 talking kernel for the
Apollo 2 synth, with Speakup 0.10A? I had a bad surprise in trying to do
that! I'm using R.H. 7.0. The patching procedure completes with no problem,
and when the system is rebooted, the synth is correctly detected. The
tragedy is that no word is spoken! A sighted friend of mine says it seems
that the system is not able to talk to the Apollo device.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Regards
Michela