What is missing?

Yes, but the Speakup kernel is compiled for multiprocessor support, and
that has caused me grief in the past.  The modules that come with
Slackware are single processor, so they really need to change that.  They
have modules for SMP kernels, but they are on the contrib CD, and seem
rather incomplete.  Besides, compiling a kernel lets me get rid of stuff I
just don't need like SCSI support.

Still looking for a solution.