keymaps

ok guys, i am about to patch speakup into my kernel. at the moment my system
uses the uk keymap, without speakup. when i patch speakup will it
automatically alter the uk keymap to make it speak, or should i make my own
uk speakup keymap before compiling and put it in the drivers/char directory?
thanks, saqib shaikh