ViaVoice help

Hello,
Me and several friends have slackware 7.1 and are attempting to run
viavoice.  The demo cmdline programs start to speak but hang with what
appears to be unexpected return codes from library functions.  We're
wondering if we may have an incorrect version of a shared library.
Any suggestions welcome.
 --
Chris
The Moon is Waning Gibbous (98% of Full)