Lucent winmodem drivers in linux

Hi
     The most recent version of the lucent driver, 5.78e, works with all
later 2.2 kernels and, even the latest 2.4 kernel, 2.4.3. I'm using it right
now with kernel 2.4.3 and it works fine. Red Hat will not really set it up,
because the driver doesn't ship with it. You'll need to compile yourself a
good kernel (from clean sources) and then compile the lucent driver. Or you
could try redhat's patched kernel sources, but I do not know if this would
work well. The lucent driver is available at:
http://walbran.org/sean/linux/stodolsk/
There's a link there that says "Lucent/Agere modem resources", under that
you'll find the lucent driver. Note that this one comes in a tar.gz format.
You don't want the one in zip format from linmodems.org, it's outdated and
will not work with the 2.4 kernel tree. As for setting it up, no IRQ
knowledge is needed. The modem is addressed as /dev/ttyLT0 after you load
the module.

HTH