security

All this talk about security brings up an interesting question.  Are there
things one can look for to tell his system is being hacked or that
attempts are being made.  I have looked in /var/log/messages and
/var/log/syslog, but, I'm really not sure what to look for.  I remember
seeing the word "victim" somewhere in a cert advisory (I think), but, I
assume if I see this word, my system has definitely been compromised.