best way to install linux to a laptop

I was thinking of that, but then what to use to get on to the internet? I
really don't want to have to get a third phone line if I can help it. I
also wanted to do this to capture audio from a certain machine so I could
receive it at home, and telnet to the other machine to give commands to
start listening to whatever I wanted. One of my friends has road runner
cable internet, and his ip address has never changed yet in 2 to 3 weeks,
so if I could hear the audio he hears at my end I could listen to a lot
more shows than I can with 28.8. He says rr downloads at 1.5 megs a second,
and uploads about 512 k.