Root access (was RE: which prebuilt linux boxes seem to work best?)

Hi:

Firstly, root is root and is above all others. You could make everything
world writable and root would still have more access than anyone
else.  Secondly, if you were working to help administer a system, the head
sysadmin would define what you had access to do, using whichever device
they chose for doing this.  Obviously, if you had to do something that you
couldn't do, you'd ask for the required access.  Thirdly, I've never heard
of anything other than fetchmail being too worried about file permissions,
and I've never heard of anything changing them.  But even if changing the
groups of the files were going to be a problem, the sysadmin could more
easily put you in the root group, or whatever group you needed to be in
(you can be in as many groups as there are groups if needed).

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <gshang10 at scu.edu.au>
ICQ number 43634701