best way to install linux to a laptop

I'm not sure if thelaptop that both my friend and I will be putting it on
has one, but mine personal laptop doesn't. The secondary machine has a NIC
plugged in to a jack that goes on the main network there, which you need to
log in to novell to use. I don't have control of their CD tower to do this.
I was thinking the idea of a hub, but we don't own the network, and they'd
actually rather run another line from wherever the wiring inside the jack
leads to, it's a district wide network, I think.