IP masquerading in Linux

Hello, listers!
I know some of you already setup IP masquerading on your machines, therefore
a question. Did you have to specify DNS servers for both client and the
server or just for the server? Initially, I thought that once the serverhas
a list of search domains, the client shouldn't care about them, it just
sends IP packets out to the server. Server forwards them to the output
chain. Apparently, it looks as though client also needs to have a DNS entry
to be able to convert names into IP addresses, which are then sent to the
server anyway. WIndows98 Second Edition resolved this problem by letting the
client specify only the address of a gateway, yes, even in the DNS field,
gateway knowing its own search domains, figures out on its own how to
convert names into IP's.
Perhaps I am doing something wrong here?

Regards,
Vic