Compiling new kernels for Slackware

Hi Kirk and listers:

A couple of questions.  I'm trying to compile new kernels for new
Slackware boot disks for Speakup.  Do I need to do a "make mrproper" each
time I do a new one, or can I skip this step--I don't care if I have stale
.o files laying around--as long as the make process only uses what I
need.  Second, I always have to do a "make bzImage" since the zImage is
too large.  Can I just skip the zImage step?

Thanks!