made it!

Chuck,

This is a dos modem, the serial card needs to be woken up though that it
connects with.  What line do you have your modification done on in the
rc.serial script?  I think one of the reasons my system may have hung
before is I may have put that on the wrong line.  I used ed to try the
changes on those files.  Talks better than elvis.