Re: SPDX: Appletalk FW license in the kernel

On 9/26/23 04:02, Greg KH wrote:
On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 12:34:03AM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Fri, Sep 15, 2023 at 09:39:05AM -0400, Prarit Bhargava wrote:
To be clear, I am not asking for their removal, however, I do think a better
license should be issued for these files.  The files were trivially modified
in 2006. It could be that the code in question is now unused and it is just
easier to remove them.

Is there anyone you know of that we could approach to determine a proper
SPDX License for these files?

The code contains firmware that is downloaded to the device.  The proper
thing would be to convert them to separate binary files in the
linux-firmware packages.  But given that the driver has seen nothing
but tree wide cleanups since the dawn of git I suspect there is no
maintainer and probably no user left.  The best might be to indeed just
remove it and see if anyone screams, in which case we could bring it
back after doing the above.

We should just remove them for now, I have no objection to that at all.

Want me to send the patch?

Yes, that would be appreciated.  Thanks :)

P.

thanks,

greg k-h