Re: [patch 01/25] treewide: Replace GPLv2 boilerplate/reference with SPDX - gpl-2.0_8.RULE

On Tue, Jun 07 2022 at 12:58, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2022 at 10:10:17PM +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
>> ---
>>  Documentation/driver-api/vfio-mediated-device.rst |    4 +---
>>  arch/arm/boot/bootp/bootp.lds                     |    5 +----
>>  include/linux/input/elan-i2c-ids.h                |    5 +----
>
> I understand the goal to split this up per "rule", but that rule name
> makes no sense to any kernel developer.  They don't know what it is, or
> where it came from, or anything else like that.

I was just reusing the scripts/approach from 3 years ago :)

> This also touches files across subsystems, generally not a good idea.
> Is your goal to get acks from the people here and then split them up
> per-subsystem later, or are you thinking you want these merged as-is?

I assumed that we merge that through your spdx tree. Though it might be
not the worst idea to route them through the maintainers, so they become
more aware of the overall problem.

It's easy enough to split them fully automated after we got green light
from the folks on the SPDX list.

> Oh, and thanks for picking this work up again.  It's amazing to me that
> the companies/people that complain about this over the years never
> actually send patches to do anything about it...

What's more amazing is that we still have no plan what to do with the
more complicated ones - the non-standard disclaimers are just the tip of
the iceberg.

Thanks,

        tglx