Re: SPDX in the kernel: State of the union

On 5/17/22 7:31 PM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

> Finally here is another round of important questions:
>
>   #1 Is there still interest to get this done? The silence on this list
>      after the initial effort is deafening.

This list had 210 messages in 2021, and 64 so far in 2022, which may be
silence compared to LKML, but is reasonably respectable ongoing traffic
for a small cleanup project.

I'm still reviewing all patches as they flow through this list. I
haven't been actively marking them as reviewed-by me, but I would raise
any problems I saw, and I've seen others raising problems.

So, yes, there's still interest, and if you want to start generating
more patches, I'll happily contribute to the review process.

I actually thought you just ran out of easily scriptable fixes, but it's
nice to hear that there's still substantially more we can do with
scancode rules.

>   #2 Are there still enough interested and comptent people on this list to
>      handle the legal questions?

I think so, yes. If we've lost some of our reviewers, we can recruit new
ones.

With the auto-generated patches, you will probably need to rate-limit
like you did in 2019, since the tools can generate patches far more
rapidly than the humans can review them.

>   #3 Was there any progress on the outstanding questions on this list where
>      discussion dried out almost 3 years ago?

ISTR reaching conclusions on all the questions before, but if there are
some lingering, we can revive them. And, you raised good new questions too.

> I'm willing to pull the cart again, but if the interest and support stays
> around zero, I surely have other things to do.

If you have the time and energy to do another burst, go for it. I don't
know that we'll ever get to 100%, but every file we clean up is helpful,
so it's worth continuing.

Allison