Re: some ideas on guidelines

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 1:08 AM Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And no one except HURD is going to be trying to use Linux files in other
> projects :)

I've actually encountered a few cases over the years where there was
some desire to reuse Linux files, or portions of Linux files anyway,
in non-Linux projects (and not HURD :), in situations where the
presumption that the code was copyrightable and that the applicable
license was GPLv2, or at least GPLv2-only, was problematic. In one of
these cases, it was a GPLv3 project (Samba) that wished to use the
Linux code. They ended up asking Red Hat for a GPLv3-or-later license.
I think both of the non-Samba cases involved some code that was
generally useful in contexts having nothing to do with the kernel.

Granted, though, that's maybe 2-3 cases I am familiar with over a ~10
year period.

Richard