Re: sparse warnings related to kref_put_lock() and refcount_dec_and_lock()

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 8:56 PM Alexander Aring <aahringo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Luc and others,
>
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 2:42 PM Luc Van Oostenryck
> <luc.vanoostenryck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 11:15:17AM -0400, Alexander Aring wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I recently converted to use kref_put_lock() in fs/dlm subsystem and
> > > now I get the following warning in sparse:
> > >
> > > warning: context imbalance in 'put_rsb' - unexpected unlock
> > >
> > > It seems sparse is not able to detect that there is a conditional
> > > requirement that the lock passed to kref_put_lock() (or also
> > > refcount_dec_and_lock()) is locked or not. I evaluate the return value
> > > to check if kref_put_lock() helds the lock and unlock it then. The
> > > idea is that the lock needs only to be held when the refcount is going
> > > to be zero.
> > >
> > > It seems other users unlock the lock at the release callback of
> > > kref_put_lock() and annotate the callback with "__releases()" which
> > > seems to work to avoid the sparse warning. However this works if you
> > > don't have additional stack pointers which you need to pass to the
> > > release callback.
> > >
> > > My question would be is this a known problem and a recommended way to
> > > avoid this sparse warning (maybe just for now)?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I suppose that your case here can be simplified into something like:
> >
> >         if (some_condition)
> >                 take(some_lock);
> >
> >         do_stuff();
> >
> >         if (some_condition)
> >                 release(some_lock);
> >
> > Sparse issues the 'context imbalance' warning because, a priori,
> > it can't exclude that some execution will takes the lock and not
> > releases it (or the opposite). In some case, when do_stuff() is
> > very simple, sparse can see that everything is OK, but generally
> > it won't (some whole kernel analysis but the general case is
> > undecidable anyway).
> >
> > The recommended way would be to write things rather like this:
> >
> >         if (some_condition) {
> >                 take(some_lock);
> >                 do_stuff();
> >                 release(some_lock);
> >         } else {
> >                 do_stuff();
> >         }
> >

> This is not an alternative for me because the lock needs to hold
> during the "some_condition". (More background is that we dealing with
> data structures here and cannot allow a get() from this data
> structures during "some_condition", the lock is preventing this)
> It is the refcount code which causes trouble here [0] and I think the
> refcount code should never call the unlock() procedure in any
> condition and leave it to the caller to call unlock() in any case.
>
> I to'ed (hope to get more attention to this) more people related to
> lib/refcount.c implementation (provided by get_maintainers.pl -f).
>

> > The __acquires() and __releases() annotations are needed for sparse
> > to know that the annotated function always take or always release
> [...]

sorry, this will not work because of the first condition of "if
(refcount_dec_not_one(r))" which will never hold the lock if true...
that's what the optimization is all about. However, maybe somebody has
another idea...

- Alex