Re: Segmentation fault when running sparse with current linux master

Hi Luc,

On Thursday, 17 September 2020, 16:20:17 CEST, Luc Van Oostenryck wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 01:08:57PM +0200, Christian Eggers wrote:
> > Build of the current linux kernel breaks on my system due to segmentation
> > fault when running sparse.
> >
> > Sparse version: 0.6.2 (built by openSUSE build service)
>
> Hi,
>
> This has already been reported and fixed in the main tree in late July.
> It's not clear to me if the latest OpenSUSE packages for sparse contain
> or not the needed fix.
>
> Can you try the version compiled from the source? It's super-easy:
> 	cd $dir
> 	git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/devel/sparse/sparse.git
> 	cd sparse
> 	make
> 	cp sparse ~/bin/

I fetched the source RPM from openSUSE and replaced the 0.6.2 tar.xz with the
current master. After building an updating the RPM, sparse doesn't crash
anymore.

openSUSE ships two versions of sparse [1]:
- official release: 20180324
- experimental: 0.6.2

It seems that both version are affected from this problem. The "experimental"
version should be automatically updated after a new version of sparse is
released. The "official release" will probably only accept patches resolving
specific problems. If you can provide a patch against 20180324, I would try to
write a bug report against the openSUSE package. This could save some time for
the next person stumbling over this problem... If you provide the commit id,
openSUSE can also decide themself whether to fix or upgrade the current
version.

Best regards
Christian

[1] https://software.opensuse.org/package/sparse