Re: [ANNOUNCE] Sparse v0.6.2-rc1

On 14/06/2020 22:54, Luc Van Oostenryck wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 08:35:51PM +0100, Ramsay Jones wrote:
>>

>> On 13/06/2020 03:07, Luc Van Oostenryck wrote:
>>> Sparse v0.6.2-rc1 is now out.
>>
>> Tested in the usual places (Linux Mint 19.3, 64-bit and 32-bit and
>> 64-bit cygwin) and in the usual way; no issues found!
>
> Thanks a lot. Here I tested it on 64-bit Debian (latest + unstable)
> and Ubuntu, and also on ARM64, ARM(32), ppc64, sparc64, mips64.
> I'll give a try later to some BSD.
>
>> Well, I say no issues - I did notice some spelling errors and
>> the formatting of the release notes does not look correct to
>> me (https://sparse.docs.kernel.org/en/latest/release-notes/v0.6.2.html).
>> Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the documentation tools
>> you are using, so I can't try to fix this. (It seems to be the only
>> attempt at nested 'bulleted lists', ...)
>
> Yes, I saw that too now. I thought I had fixed it but visibly it
> wasn't. It should be really fixed now.
>
> [(Just FYI) The format of the doc is either reStructuredText
> (.rst) or MarkDown (.md). Both are much less simple than they
> appear to be but they have the huge advantage to almost look
> as if there is no markup at all/as if written 'naturally' in
> ASCII. Much much more readable than man-pages or html markup.
>
> The system used to generate the resulting HTML is Sphinx.
> It has the huge advantage to be very easy to install/to have
> near-zero dependencies: it's just a single python package.
> To use it, it's enough to just 'cd Documentation; make html'

I just installed python-sphinx (on LM 19.3 it is the python2
version) to give it a try, and it failed:

  $ make html
  Running Sphinx v1.6.7
  making output directory...

  Extension error:
  Could not import extension cdoc (exception: cannot import name switch_source_input)
  Makefile:21: recipe for target 'html' failed
  make: *** [html] Error 1
  $

It's too late to try and fix it tonight ... (also LM 20 is currently
in beta, so I will be trading up soon) :D

ATB,
Ramsay Jones